These Tiramisu Cupcakes are ridiculously amazing. Not low fat, not low cal and not super easy to make. But you really should should make them.
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 box White Cake Mix
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 8 oz mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon strong coffee
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
(For my coffee, I used a French Press with 1/2 cup of hot water and two heaping scoops of coffee – you may adjust for how strong or weak you’d like your cupcakes to taste.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, gently whisk egg whites, egg, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla.
- Add cake mix to the bowl.
- Using half of the batter, fill cupcake liners about 1/3 full.
- With the remaining cake batter, add the strong coffee and mix. (You may need to add 1 or 2 tablespoons of flour to thicken the batter.)
- Scoop the coffee cake batter over the regular batter so that each cupcake liner is filled about 3/4.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the filling by simply combing all ingredients in a small bowl using a spoon.
- For the topping, use the whisk attachment on your stand mixer or hand mixer to beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add vanilla. Slowly add in heavy cream and beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble, wait until the cupcakes are cooled completely and cut a cone shaped piece of cake out the top of each cupcake and generously spoon in your filling.
- To finish, pipe your whipped topping over the hole with the filling and top with chocolate shavings and cocoa powder.