Since it’s been so warm outside, I’ve cut back on my winter vegetarian staples of beans, legumes and soups. I feel the void of protein in my diet and have been looking for ways to add it back in. Despite their bad rap, eggs have 13 essential vitamins and minerals quality protein, unsaturated fats and antioxidants. Best of all they fill you up and keep you feeling full.
This dish is super versatile – serve for brunch with fresh fruit or later in the date with a nice tossed salad.
- One 9 ounces box of frozen spinach
- 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cups day-old bread cubes
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar (3 ounces)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 5 x 8 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the bread cubes, spinach, onions and red bell pepper in layers throughout the dish.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk , and 3/4 cup cheese.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Pour mixture over bread and spinach and top with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes.
Can be served cold or warm. To reheat simply heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Next time I make this I may cut back on the spinach and add broccoli or asparagus.